The punch culture started in India (where punch means five) and traveled by the seas to Europe.
The five things that make a punch are:
Besides the classical Punch that goes into a bowl, some cocktails can be considered a punch, like the Mai Tai (Rum, ice, lime, curaçao, orgeat).
here are some tips from David Wondrich to make a good punch:
- Use a good high-proof and full-flavored spirit;
- Use enough(1,25 times the spirit portion). It is not supposed to get you drunk, try to hit the 12~13%;
- The essencial. Be it lemon or lime, DO muddle peels with suggar to have the essencial oils into the punch, use a quarter of the amount of spirit;
- Use the same amount of sweet and sour. Raw sugar adds a nice sugar-cane note;
- Don’t let it take over the flavour.
I’ll make a cachaça punch and let you know how it went.