I always wondered about the differences between aged liqueurs. Let’s drink to know more!
Me and my friend Rafael started blind tasting three glasses, here are the results:
- Light smell of sweet vanilla and rubber;
- viscous with notes of caramel toffee;
- clean finish with a metalic aftertaste.
This was Bacardi 8
- Couldn’t get much in the nose, very light aroma;
- Dry and thin with little alcohol;
- Very light dried fruits finish;
- Monochromatic can resume.
This was Bacardi Black (4yo)
- Very complex and rich aroma of nuts and wood;
- Not as thick as Glass#1, balanced sip with dark chocolate and vanilla notes;
- woody and alcoholic finish.
This was Zacapa 23
After this I think Bacardi 8 is an acceptable rum for mixed drinks calling for some wood, while Bacardi Gold is very light in that sense.
Zacapa 23 is a really good sipper and might make beautiful cocktails too, but I would think twice before using it instead of B8.
Hope you enjoy!